Applications Deadline: 23:59 (GMT), 28 February 2018
This is a journalism competition operated by the British Council to select delegates for the Future
News Worldwide 2018 conference, taking place 5 – 6 July 2018 in the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh
Each winning participant will be notified by 30 April 2018. This notification will be made to the email address provided by the participant when registering for the Competition in accordance with section 4 of these Competition Rules. In this notification, the British Council will inform each winning participant of how to claim their prize and of any additional information or steps required to enable the British Council to provide them with the prize.
The British Council reserves the right to award the relevant prize to another Competition participant if the prize is not claimed within 2 weeks after such notification.
The prize consists of a place at the Future News Worldwide 2018 conference, and inclusion in the
Future News Worldwide alumni network.
This includes the following:
- Travel to and from local airport to Edinburgh for the dates of the Conference
- The cost of one Standard Service visa application (if required)
- Catering on the following basis:
Conference days: all meals
- 7 July – Breakfast only (tourism day)
- 8 July – No catering
If you’re a student who’s passionate about journalism then we want to hear from you! Whether you’re a writer, blogger, vlogger, photographer, radio journalist or work in any other kind of media you can apply for a place at Future News Worldwide 2018 as long as you meet the eligibility requirements below.
To apply for a place at Future News Worldwide 2018 you must be:
- Aged 18-25 on 1 July 2018
- A registered student, enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course (of any subject) at a university or higher education institution
- A native speaker of English OR be able to speak English at IELTS level 6.5 or equivalent (a formal qualification is not required, just the ability to speak at this level)
- Not have participated in a previous iteration of Future News Worldwide or Future NEWS
- Dedicated to a career in journalism, in any form
- Available to travel to and from the UK on any date between 2 – 8 July 2018
PLEASE NOTE: if you are shortlisted for a place at the conference you will be required to provide evidence of eligibility (identity, age, student status and English language ability).
Applicants based in Thailand
The application process is different for students based in Thailand. Please contact
- All answers must be submitted via the online application form.
If you experience any technical difficulties please contact us: