Deadline: 8 October 2017.
Winners of the 2018 Freedom of Expression Awards Fellowship receive 12 months of capacity building, coaching and emergency assistance. Through the fellowships, Index seeks to maximise the impact and sustainability of voices at the forefront of pushing back censorship worldwide.
Nominate your free expression champion
The 2018 Freedom of Expression Awards Fellowship is open to any individual or organisation involved in tackling free expression threats. We are offering four fellowships, one in each of the following categories: journalism, campaigning, arts and digital activism. Anyone can nominate or self-nominate. There is no cost to apply. Nominees must have had a recognisable impact in the past 12 months. Submit your nomination by 23:59 GMT 8 October 2017.
About the 2018 Awards Fellowship
- One Full Year: Fellows receive 12 months of direct assistance, starting with an all-expenses-paid training week in London in April 2018.
- Survive: Index helps fellows build key partnerships, troubleshoot and receive expert support in multiple areas including personal safety, finance, PR and mental health.
- Thrive: Fellows work with Index and partners to identify and realise key strategic goals.
- Amplify: Index promotes news and regional developments through our magazine, website and social media.
- Network: Fellows become part of a supportive community of free expression champions worldwide.
What we look for in selecting Awards Fellows
- Timeliness: A significant contribution within the past 12 months.
- Resilience:Courage to speak out, persisting in the face of adversity.
- Innovation:Creative ways of promoting free expression or circumventing censorship.
- Impact:Evidence of shifting perceptions, influencing public or government opinion, contributing to legislative change.
- Need: Those cases where the 2018 Awards Fellowship can potentially add the most value.
We are awarding 2018 Fellowships in four categories
- Arts: for artists and arts producers whose work challenges repression and injustice and celebrates artistic free expression
- Campaigning: for activists and campaigners who have had a marked impact in fighting censorship and promoting freedom of expression
- Digital Activism: for innovative uses of technology to circumvent censorship and enable free and independent exchange of information
- Journalism: for courageous, high-impact and determined journalism that exposes censorship and threats to free expression.
2018 Freedom of Expression Awards Fellowship Timeline
- NOMINATIONS: 21 AUG – 8 OCT 2017
- JUDGING PANEL ANNOUNCED: 12 DEC 2017
- SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED: 16 FEB 2018
- AWARDS FELLOWSHIP WEEK: 16-20 APR 2018
- AWARDS GALA APR:18 APR 2018
- AWARDS FELLOWSHIP: 2018 – MAR 2019