Application Period: 1 November 2017 – 31 December 2017 at 12 noon
The Computer Science Department at ETH Zurich offers the Student Summer Research Fellowship to allow undergraduate and graduate students to obtain research experience during the summer months. Fellowships will be competitively awarded every year to a number of student applicants with excellent track records and an interest in research.
The Computer Science Department at ETH offers a new, exciting program that allows undergraduate and graduate students to obtain research experience in our department during the summer months. Applications for the programme are open to students across the globe. The program is committed to increasing diversity in the computer science area.
Accommodation: Once a candidate is accepted into the program, we will provide information regarding visa applications (where required) as well as assistance with finding affordable accommodation during the summer research stay.
Financial support: Scholars at ETH Zurich will receive a monthly stipend of about CHF 1,750 to cover housing and living expenses. Travel and visa expenses will be covered. Students can claim the travel costs against receipts at the beginning of the program.
List of research areas
Research opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Algorithms and theory
- Computer systems
- Human-computer-interaction and cyberphysical systems
- Information and system security
- Machine learning
- Information and system security
- Programming languages and software engineering
- Visual Computing
The Student Summer Research Fellowship program is open to all students worldwide who are:
- At the beginning and for the duration of the program, at most one year away from completion of their Bachelor’s program or are registered in a Master’s program
- At the beginning and for the duration of the program, enrolled in a regular study program in computer science or a closely related field of study (e.g. electrical engineering, mathematics, physics)
The working language of the program at ETH Zurich is English a good command of which is required. If available, please include an English language certificate with your application documents.
Program dates: 1 July to 31 August 2018.
+41 44 632 11 11
Or send an Email to
- First you need to register with SiROP
- To register search for your home university in the list provided or create an account using an email address.
- After completing your SiROP registration, click the online application link below where you will find the <<Apply now>>
- After clicking the «Apply now» button on the linked SiROP page you will be asked to fill in personal data and upload several documents:
- Your CV. You may use any CV format you wish. If you feel uncertain, please feel free to use the Europass format .
- Official academic transcript from your home university.
- Letter of motivation/personal statement (max 1 page). Describe in your own words why you have chosen your proposed scientific area of research. Explain what you hope to accomplish by coming to ETH and how it will support your academic or professional goals and prepare you for a career in research. A good personal statement can be written in half a page and you should aim not to write more than a full A4 page. Lay it out carefully to make it easy to read.
- A letter of recommendation by an academic referee. The referee can sign the recommendation, scan the letter and mail it directly to: SSR_Fellowship@inf.ethz.ch
Note that the reference letter needs to be sent by the referee to the e-mail address, NOT by the applicant himself/herself. Please indicate in the subject line “reference letter for first name and surname of student”. The deadline for reference letters is 15 February 2018 (12:00 p.m.).
Click here to visit their website