Deadline:February 18, 2019
Journalists/media producers are invited to apply for the CIVICUS ICSW 2019 Media Fellowship. This fellowship enables selected candidates to attend and cover CIVICUS’ flagship international event, the 2019 International Civil Society Week (ICSW), being held in Belgrade, Serbia from April 8-12, 2019.
International Civil Society Week (ICSW) is a key global gathering for civil society and other stakeholders to engage constructively in finding common solutions to pressing global
challenges. For the first time in almost a quarter century of international convening, CIVICUS in partnership with Civic Initiatives (CI), will hold itsflagship event in the Western
This year’s theme, “The Power of Togetherness”, is particularly relevant in a time of growing social division and political polarization across the globe, in the face of rising right-wing populism. The theme has resonance too for ICSW host nation, Serbia – the site of ongoing mass public protests and heightened civil society action in defense of democracy and fundamental freedoms – in a region with a long history of conflict and
This fellowship award includes:
• Round trip air travel and transportation from city of residence to Belgrade, Serbia.
• Five nights’ hotel accommodation (April 7-12)
• Waived ICSW registration fee (valued at US$220)
• Per diem of $20/day (breakfast and lunch to be provided at venues)
- All other costs will be borne by the media fellow or representative organisation.
- CIVICUS will provide the necessary visa application documents but fellows must arrange their own entry visa applications.
The fellowship is open to all journalists from all countries, who have had editorial content published or broadcast by a local, regional, national or international media organisation.
Preference will be given to journalists from, based in or covering issues/events in the global South.
- Fellows are expected to produce a minimum of three (3) stories related to thematic issues under discussion at ICSW, for publication/broadcast on local, regional, national or international media platforms during the event; and at least one (1) story for publication/broadcast on local, regional, national or international media platforms following the event.
- Fellows will be expected to work collaboratively with the CIVICUS ICSW communications/media team in the generation of story ideas and content production. Fellows may also be assigned stories of interest to or commissioned by CIVICUS media content partners or other interested media outlets.
- Where possible, fellows will be expected to gather editorial content (photography, video, interviews) for distribution by CIVICUS to various other partner and media networks and platforms.