Deadline: Oct 3, 2017 at 11PM EST
Do you have what it takes to become a professional travel photographer? This is your opportunity to showcase your photography skills and individual perspective on the world. Our goal is to give the winner of this scholarship a foot in the door of the travel photography industry – so your application should demonstrate your talent and desire to turn your passion into a profession.
You could be the emerging photographer we’re looking for to capture Myanmar’s Thingyan water festival, ancient temples and traditional tribes and be mentored by Canon Master Richard I’Anson on a 10-day money-can’t-buy trip.
What the judges are looking for:
- Feature an original subject and and your original perspective
- Convey a compelling and cohesive story
- Showcase your excellent technique and creative composition
- Be supported by complimentary thoughtful captions
- The scholarship recipient, along with the shortlist of the best photo stories will be published on the World Nomads website on October 26th, 2017.
- Should your entry reach the final round of judging you will be asked to supply the RAW file of each photo for comparison with your submission.
- Once you apply, you will not be able to go back and edit your application, so please make sure you are completely satisfied with your application before you hit the submit button. One application per person.
What you could win
- Free flights: Receive round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Yangon, Myanmar.
- Bespoke tour of Myanmar: Journey through Myanmar with a custom 10-day photography tour designed by Intrepid Travel .
- Photography mentorship: Improve your skills with one-on-one mentorship from professional travel photographer Richard I’Anson .
- Adventure gear: Get fully outfitted for your trip with awesome outdoor apparel from Kathmandu .
- Photography guide: Receive a copy of Lonely Planet’s Guide to Travel Photography by Richard I’Anson. Shortlisted applicants will take one home too!
- Travel insurance: Travel with confidence knowing that you are covered by World Nomads on your photographic adventure.
How do I apply?
- Shoot a 5 image max photo story: Your brief is to tell a story from a place that you have visited through images (with accompanying captions to help contextualize each shot). A ‘place’ can literally be anywhere – from your backyard to somewhere you visited on your travels.
- Write a winning essay: Tell us in 1500 characters or less what winning this photography scholarship would mean to you and why you are the best person for the assignment. In your essay tell us about yourself, your passion for photography, what motivates you and what your photography aspirations are. Paint us a picture of who the budding photographer is behind the story.
- Complete the application form: You know the drill, fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
03 October, 2017: Applications close
26 October, 2017: Winner announced
06 April, 2018: Trip begins
17 April, 2018: Trip ends