Deadline Step 1: December 4, 2017
The Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Program brings together emerging leaders dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment. The program connects fellows with highly accomplished national and international leaders, providing them with the skills to:
- Foster sustainable environmental impact
- Build cross-sector partnerships to accomplish key goals
- Inspire new ideas and innovative change to safeguard natural resources and promote a healthy global ecosystem
- This program is a game-changing opportunity for scholars and practitioners eager to take up the mantle of environmental leadership and stewardship for the rising generation.
Program Information and Benefits
- Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are awarded a full tuition scholarship and health fees for up to two years, depending on the length of their graduate degree program.
- Fellows are eligible for a stipend up to $10,000 for up to two years depending on their master’s degree program.
- Applicants will be considered based on their excellent academic credentials and a demonstrated focus on developing leadership abilities to impact environmental public policy and practice. CPL seeks a diverse cohort of fellows with emerging leaders from the government, business, and NGO communities dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
- Fellows will participate in a robust cocurricular program offered by the Center for Public Leadership.
- This fellowship is open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs. Students pursuing a joint degree at HKS and another Harvard graduate or professional school or those in concurrent programs at other approved universities or schools may also apply.
- The fellowship will be open to all admitted master’s degree program students and will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or national origin.
- Award decisions will be primarily merit based but with a consideration of financial need as determined by the HKS Student Financial Services.
Step 1: Apply to Harvard Kennedy School: Application deadline is Monday, December 4, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Step 2: Apply for the Fellowship: Application deadline is Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Applicants must submit:
- A biographical profile, not to exceed 150 words. (This profile should be short, concise and in the third person.) Please include the following highlights: an introductory sentence including your name; the degree you are pursuing at Harvard Kennedy School in addition to any joint degree at Harvard or concurrent degree program at another graduate or professional institution; where you are from and where you currently reside; an overview and highlights of your relevant work/professional experience; significant leadership achievements including awards or certifications; and educational credentials with the degrees earned and institutions attended.
- A document containing written responses to the following two essay prompts:
- Please discuss a topic you are passionate about as it pertains to preserving and enhancing our shared environment and your experiences as it relates to this topic. Include specific examples in your response (750 words or less).
- The purpose of this fellowship is to provide financial support and leadership development experiences for people who are committed to careers in environmental public policy. Many people are interested in environmental issues, but this fellowship is limited to those who are committed to serving as environmental leaders in government, NGO or business. Please state your commitment in 200 words or less.
- Finalists for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship will be interviewed in early March 2018 by the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship Selection Committee.